Monday 23 March 2020

Can't get enough portable hand sanitisers - try this!

Meths-soaked handkerchief in plastic bag. Photo: Julie May

Since the coronavirus became more widespread, I have been unable to purchase portable hand sanitisers at my local supermarkets, so I had to improvise. 

The advice on hand cleaning came from governments and it was to: frequently wash our hands thoroughly with soap and water for at least 20 seconds or use an alcohol-based hand sanitiser. Apparently, the best is to use soap as it breaks down the fats in the virus, killing it. Next best is an alcohol-based hand sanitiser as the alcohol kills the virus. Hand cleaners without alcohol or soap do not work! 

Soap and water are easier to use at home but I needed portable hand sanitisers while out so I could wipe some hard surfaces and clean my hands after touching hard surfaces at the supermarkets, on hand rails, door knobs, steering wheels and similar. So, I used what I had at home: a handkerchief with a few dabs of methylated spirits (95% alcohol) placed in a degradable plastic bag or better still a click zip one (to prevent evaporation). 

If you no longer have handkerchiefs, which are reusable, then you can use tissues, serviettes or similar but not toilet paper as it breaks up easily. Make your hand sanitiser just before going out as 'meths' evaporates quickly. If anybody knows better, please let me know. 
N.B. 'Meths' is toxic and drying if used in large amounts or for a long time in one application. Just use a little quickly and only when out of the house if you can't find better portable hand sanitisers.
- Keep safe and well.

No comments:

Post a Comment